- 1. Search engine crawls a website
- Search engine uses spider (or crawler) visit a web site, read the information on the web pages, follow hyperlinks from one pages to another pages that the site connects to.
- 2. Search engine stores each word in a searchable index
- Search engine indexes the content(text, code) of the webpage by adding it to their giant database and then periodically updates this content.
- 3. Search engine matches the query terms with words in the index
- Search engines search their own giant databases when a user enters in a search query to find related documents sort documents by relevance.
- 4. Search engine displays results
- Search engines rank the resulting documents using an algorithm by assigning various weights and ranking factors.
What is SEO?